Society Hill

Rating
34 votes 34 votes
Society Hill is one of the most pleasant areas in Philadelphia. The neighborhood, loosely defined as the area between Walnut, Lombard, Front and 8th streets contains the largest concentration of original 18th and early 19th century architecture of any place in the United States.
Society Hill, Philadelphia
Much like Beacon Hill in Boston, Society Hill is a charming district with cobblestone streets bordered by brick rowhouses in Federal and Georgian style.

Society of Free Traders
The district is named after the 18th century Society of Free Traders, which had its offices at Front street on the hill above Dock Creek. Located close to both the river and Philadelphia's civic buildings, including the Independence Hall, the neighborhood soon became one of the city's most popular areas. Several market
Horse drawn carriage in Society Hill
halls, taverns and churches were built alongside brick houses of Philadelphia's affluent citizens.

Decline and Restoration
In the 19th century, the city moved westward and the area lost its appeal. The houses started to deteriorate until the 1950s, when the city, state and federal governments started one of the first redevelopment programs aiming at the preservation of historic buildings.
While several 19th century buildings were demolished, most historic houses were sold to individuals who were bound to restore the exterior of the buildings. At the same time parks and walkways were created, replacing demolished buildings. Replicas of 18th century street furniture enhance the colonial atmosphere. At some places,
Society Hill
demolished buildings and empty lots were replaced by more modern buildings or even high-rise buildings like the Society Hill Towers.

Historic Buildings
Society Hill contains many interesting historic buildings. One of them is the Society Hill Synagogue. It was originally constructed as a Baptist Church in 1829 by the Philadelphia architect Thomas U. Walter, one of the architects of the US Capitol in Washington, DC. The facade was redesigned 20 years later in renaissance style, a stark contrast with the adjacent buildings in Federal and Georgian style. The two towers were topped by domes, but those were removed later.
Another notable building is the St. Peter's Church. It was constructed between 1758 and 1761 by Robert Smith. The design of the anglican church is very sober with a simple six-story high tower. The wooden steeple was added much later, in 1759.

Subway
2nd Street (Market-Frankford Line)
257
philadelphia
x
© 2014 www.aviewoncities.com