Once the busiest crossing in Europe, the Potsdamer Platz was completely destroyed after the war. In 1998 the new Potsdamer Platz, full of modern buildings, officially opened.
In the 1920s and 30s, the Potsdamer platz was the busiest
and one of the liveliest squares in Europe. It was a
major public transport hub and a popular entertainment district; the area contained
numerous bars, cafés and cinemas.
This all came
to an abrupt end in 1943 when the Potsdamer platz was
left to ruins by allied bombing. After the second world
war, the square located between the American, British
and Russian sectors, became a no-man's land.
Tent-like roof of the Sony Center
completely flattened with the construction of the Berlin Wall
in 1961 when the demolished buildings were pulled down.
After the fall of the Berlin Wall
it was decided to rebuild the whole area, 480.000 square meter large. Construction started in 1994 and for many years Potsdamer Platz became the largest construction site in Europe. The square, together with
several adjacent blocks were redeveloped
Debis Building B1
under the supervision of the architects Wilmer and Sattler.
The project included the construction of several landmark towers, a shopping arcade, an entertainment center and residential buildings.
The first building completed was the Debis tower, designed by
Renzo Piano. Other eyecatchers are the Sony Center,
a complex designed by Helmut Jahn which includes an
Imax theater and an office tower. Its neighbor, the brown-brick
Kohlhof building featured an observation deck at a height
The large new underground station,
shopping arcade and entertainment center have brought
new life to thePotsdamer Platz.
It still is more of
a tourist attraction than a 'natural' square, but with the construction of
more residential buildings in the neighborhood, the
area has started to grow back to its former status:
one of the liveliest squares in the country.