Rating
16 votes 16 votes
Situated near an island lying between two arms of the Spree River (known as The Werder), Friedrichswerdersche Kirche occupies the location of the former Werderscher Market.

About the Church

Friedrichswerdersche Kirche, Berlin
Friedrichswerdersche
Kirche

Interior of the Friedrichswerdersche Kirche in Berlin
Church Interior
The first neo-Gothic church in Berlin, Friedrichswerdersche Kirche was designed by famed local architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel and built between 1824 and 1830. The church was named for Friedrich Wilhelm - The Great Elector - who served as Duke of Prussia from 1640 until his death in 1688. Schinkel's clean, orderly style is found in many other Berlin structures designed by this architect, including several buildings on Museum Island.

The exterior of the brick church boasts a simple pillar structure with a double-towered facade. The interior is wide and rather simple as well.

Works of Art

A fine collection of early nineteenth-century sculptures from the Alte Nationalgalerie are on exhibit in the nave area of the church, including classical and romantic works by Johann Gottfried Schadow, Christian Friedrich Tieck, Emil Wolff, Theodor Kalide, Ridolfo Schadow, and Christian Daniel Rauch.

The centerpiece of the exhibit is the original plaster model of "Two Princesses" by Johann Gottfried Schadow. (The bronze sculpture that came from the cast is in the Old National Gallery.)
Friedrichswerdersche Kirche, Berlin
Museum in the Friedrichswerdersche Kirche, Berlin
Schadow's piece is regarded as a fine example of European classicism and the sculptor was acclaimed for his return to the Greek style of sculpture.

In the gallery of the church, you'll also find an exhibit sponsored by the National Gallery that profiles the life and works of the church's architect, K.F. Schinkel, including a wealth of information about the church itself. Known as the Schinkel Museum, this display was installed in 1987 after extensive renovations were completed at the Friedrichswerdersche Kirche.

Unfortunately, structural damage to the church forced its closure in 2012 and the sculptures have been removed. It is not known yet if or when the church will reopen.

Subway
Hausvogteiplatz (U2)
Location
Werderscher Straße
191
berlin
x
Press <ESC> to close
© 2017 www.aviewoncities.com